People are always looking for tips for entrepreneurs on how to improve our business, but we often neglect our health and wellness in the process. If you look at the lifestyle of entrepreneurs, logically it seems like we would be the healthiest people on the planet. We can plan our days pretty much however we choose. We can fix healthy meals for ourselves at home. We can take a break whenever we want. Unfortunately, many entrepreneurs fall into some habits that are not exactly healthy and they don’t promote out wellness.
Here are 10 Self Care & Health Tips for Entrepreneurs
- Self Care isn’t Selfish – You must put your own health & wellness first. My 6 year old son taught me this lesson when I was dealing with cancer. He said, “You’re always taking good care of me but you need to take care of you, so you can be my Mommy longer. You’re the only Mom, I’ve got and I don’t want you to die.” Just like the flight attendant who reminds us to put on our own oxygen mask we must take care of ourselves first. Who do you need to show up for and be your best & healthiest self each day?
- Reduce Stress by Planning Your Tomorrow the Day or Night Before – I like to do this with a short note to myself that I write and open in the morning. You can also set out your work-out clothes the night before so you see them when you wake up.
- Don’t Ignore Symptoms – when we have aches, pains, lumps, or grumbles it’s usually an indication that something is wrong. Talk to your doctor early on rather than ignoring symptoms. Most of us are fortunate to have access to outstanding healthcare so seek it out when you need it.
- Stop Saying You’re Fine When You’re Not Fine – if you are not feeling well then don’t tell everyone you’re fine. Instead say, I’m about a 3 on a scale of 1-10, 10 = Feeling Great. The reason for this is that saying, “I’m fine” is being dishonest with yourself and others. This dishonesty is not going to help you get better. I am not saying to complain about every little thing that troubles you but don’t lie to yourself and others about your health.
- Laughter is the Best Medicine – Look at the story of Norman Cousins, who made remarkable recovery from a severe and life-threatening disease of the connective tissue called degenerative collagen illness.”I made the joyous discovery that 10 minutes of genuine belly laughter had an anesthetic effect and would give me at least two hours of pain-free sleep,” he wrote. Find ways to bring fun and laughter into your every day life. This is my favorite one of the tips for entrepreneurs because it is so fun and can be as simple as watching a funny movie or a comedian.
- Become an Exceptional Patient – when dealing with doctors, nurses, and all those in the medical profession become what Dr. Bernie Siegal in his book Love, Medicine, and Miracles, calls an “exceptional patient”. An “exceptional patient”, asks questions and listens carefully to their doctors, they work with the medical professionals towards their recovery.
- Establish Healthy Habits for Yourself that includes your own nurturing self-care. This may include walking, jogging, meditation, weight lifting, and yoga. When it comes to eating healthy begin asking yourself, what is the healthiest food I can enjoy today rather than mindlessly eating unhealthy snacks. For more on establishing habits, read Do You Dream About Starting a New Life?
- Positive Vibes – You might get tired of people saying be more positive or think positive but having a positive mindset about your health really does makes a difference. “Life is Good” became my favorite greeting and clothing to wear while dealing with cancer.
- Start Each Day with Gratitude – Each morning think of 3 positive things before your feet touch the ground. This can be a person, a place or a thing that you are grateful for. Examples could be the sunrise, your comfy bed, a child’s laughter, or a dog’s happy tail.
- Create a Bucket List – Ask the Question – What Do You Want To Do Before You Die? There’s nothing morbid about accepting the fact that we will all die. Give some thought to what you want to accomplish before you die so you can live a life without regret.
Bonus Tips for Entrepreneurs – Love is the Secret Ingredient to Self-Care – Most cultures have a certain food that is prepared for someone who is sick. The Italian’s have minestrone soup, The British make tea and toast. In Mexico, they make a soup called pozole. Jewish people make matzo ball soup. Here in the United States, we make chicken noodle soup. The secret ingredient to all of these comfort foods is love. Even if you simply open a can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup for yourself, sprinkle in some extra love and kindness for yourself to make you feel better. Be kinder and more loving to yourself during a time of illness